A to Z Challenge

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for Posture

P is for Posture

Ummmm….as I watch dancers move around the floor, I almost always find my eyes settling on one or two that just seem to stand out from the crowd.  Not because they are doing the hardest moves or wearing the cutest dress or even dancing the most musically (although this is really high on the list of things that catch my attention, especially when I am dancing with someone)…no, what draws my attention is the dancer’s posture.  Standing straight, not leaning in toward their partner or bending at the waist or slouching.  Head pulled back and held high, not looking down to make sure that gravity is still causing their feet to hit the floor!  Shoulders comfortably stacked over their backbone, chest drawn up and broadened, dancing like they are proud of their abilities and comfortable in their dance shoes.  Those are the dancers that catch my attention no matter how experienced they are, no matter how many patterns they know or how well they execute those patterns.  No matter at all as they are the dancers I hope will ask me to dance…and if they don’t…guess I just going to have to ask them…’cause I know it is going to be an awesome dance experience!

Dance of the Day:  Polka

A fun, fast paced progressive dance that is characterized by a skipping, triple step action.  Although it originated in Poland in the early 1800’s, it is danced all over the world:  from Mexico to Iceland to Ireland to Germany and probably everywhere in between.  In the United States it is danced by both the ballroom and country western dance communities.

7 comments:

  1. Maintaining good posture takes discipline...and I can see how a dancer displaying that type of discipline would perform everything else equally precise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my daughter has been singled out many times in strange places and commended for her wonderful posture--all due to dancing--new reader here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dance - wonderful. My daughter's a dancer - ballet. Good luck with the rest of the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I wish I could dance. I simply have no co-ordination whatsoever. Thanks for this post.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posture definitely has a big effect on how someone dances.

    And I'm thrilled to come across a blog about dance. I love it. :)


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an excellent "P" post - posture is something I am very focused on - while good posture is beautiful to see it is so beneficial to good health; which I think is often overlooked!


    Jenny @ Pearson Report
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started doing yoga in hopes of gaining a dancer's posture. It hasn't worked, though, I do find that my back hurts less when I am using proper posture.

    ReplyDelete